Old 14-09-2011, 05:31 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Since I've not grown this variety before (unknown random seedlings from supermarket tom) I've no idea whetehr it's normal or not. Presumably the parent wasn't thick skinned, since supermarket tomatoes usually are not.
Many supermarket tomatoes are hybrids, in which case it would not have bred true. Tomato seeds are cheap, and only need to be bought once. Buy recognised non-hybrid varieties with the properties you want, and then you can keep the seed and grow them again.