Old 15-09-2011, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Tomatoes

wrote in message
On Sep 14, 3:17 pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
wrote in message

On Sep 14, 1:38 pm, Gunner wrote:

On Sep 14, 8:57 am, "
wrote:

I have a cherry type tomato in my green house that is FULL of flowers
yet not one tomato has set. Too hot? I have shaken them to pollinate,
they are hydroponic so the water is right, used the appropriate
fertilizer and everything else I can think of. I am in south eastern
North Carolina, zone 7ish. Any ideas? I have grown these same tomatoes
through the winter in past years so I know its possible.
Thanks
MJ

Try running fans, bees or vibrating the flowers in the greenhouse.
meanwhile stating what the heat/humid has been, when you planted them
and what type cherry they are may help pinpoint the problem.

I do not know what the humidity has been, heat in the 90ies. They are
called "Sugary" tomatoes. I have shaken the plants and we have had an
abundance of bees around here this year. I don't think it is
pollination

----------------------------

With temps in the nineties there is a strong possibility that the pollen
is
sterile.

I never thought of that.Does that mean there is no hope? There is new
growth at the bottom of the plant. Should I just cut it off and use
that growth as a re start?

Cool them off, the next blooms may be fine. If you need more plants root the
new growth, if not just let it grow. Keep the day time temps well below 90F
and the night temps around 70F and you should start to see fruit.