Old 15-09-2011, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Tomatoes

On Sep 15, 11:01*am, Gunner wrote:
On Sep 14, 1:19*pm, "
wrote:

On Sep 14, 3:17*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:

wrote in message

On Sep 14, 1:38 pm, Gunner wrote:

On Sep 14, 8:57 am, "
wrote:

I have a cherry type tomato in my green house that is FULL of flowers
yet not one tomato has set. Too hot? I have shaken them to pollinate,
they are hydroponic so the water is right, used the appropriate
fertilizer and everything else I can think of. I am in south eastern
North Carolina, zone 7ish. Any ideas? I have grown these same tomatoes
through the winter in past years so I know its possible.
Thanks
MJ

Try running fans, bees or vibrating the flowers in the greenhouse.
meanwhile stating what the heat/humid has been, when you planted them
and what type cherry they are may help pinpoint the problem.

*I do not know what the humidity has been, heat in the 90ies. They are
called "Sugary" tomatoes. I have shaken the plants and we have had an
abundance of bees around here this year. I don't think it is
pollination

----------------------------

With temps in the nineties there is a strong possibility that the pollen is
sterile.

I never thought of that.Does that mean there is no hope? There is new
growth at the bottom of the plant. Should I just cut it off and use
that growth as a re start?

Odds are Steve is correct, *its heat. *I think if you have not
experienced blossom drop & temps are cooling you should be OK.

Look closely @ the flowers, *if they are in, or moving to, *an upward
position *and stay there for several days, they are ready for
pollination. *Greenhouses typically are not the greatest environment
for pollination. *Again, *keep a fan blowing on a low speed, use bees
or some form of mechanical method.

Out of curiosity, what nutes are you using and what *pH and EC or PPM
do you maintain during flowering? *Also what type of hydro system?

I don't use anything different for various growing times. The formula
comes out of "Hydroponics, Soilless Gardening" y Richard E. Nicholls
Not sure what you mean by hydro system. It is a 7 pot grouping and I
use clay pellets for a medium.