Old 15-09-2011, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Dwarf Buddleia

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:50:00 +0000, Laura Corin
wrote:

vsop;936565 Wrote:
Our dwarf Buddleia ( don't know the species) planted last autumn has now

finished flowering. It's about 30" (75cm) tall.
Please advise, when and how do I prune it........ or should I ?

Regards...... vsop

If it's 'Blue Chip' then a Google search comes up with conflicting
advice: some sites suggest it doesn't need pruning; others that it
should be pruned lightly;others still that it should be pruned hard.
I'd like to know too, as I have one.

Laura

AFAIK, the dwarf varieties don't need hard pruning so much as the
normal big ones. The new "Buzz" type should be pruned back to about
2-3 buds on each stem in spring - for them, dead-heading is the main
thing to prolong the flowering season. As you say, though, the jury's
out regarding Blue Chip. It doesn't need dead-heading but the
majority advice seems to be to prune it lightly in spring. All
buddleias flower on new wood so I'd look to prune the old back to a
decent bud pointing in the right direction - not necessarily the
highest bud but the one that looks the strongest.

If you're growing dwarf varieties in pots, it's important to protect
the pot over winter - if the roots freeze the dwarfs (or is it dwarves
- debate looms maybe!) will die. If ground planted a good mulch will
help.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk