Old 15-09-2011, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sueb sueb is offline

Default Flowering on trees with fruit

On Sep 14, 9:19*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
I would appreciate it if anybody can refer me to a reference on the topic of
whether leaving fruit on a tree alters the flowering and setting of new
fruit for the next season. *I have excess citrus fruit from last summer (now
coming into spring) and I have been leaving it on the tree to store it.
Clearly the old fruit cannot stay there forever. *Will the old fruit inhibit
new flowering and fruiting until it falls off or is taken off, or will the
new fruit coexist with the old for some period? *Is this the same for all
citrus, all fruit, or is every case different?

David

I don't know anyone who strips a citrus tree, except commercial
growers. Just leave the fruit on until you are ready for it.

I get enough fruit mummies falling off, along with ripe fruit, to know
that old fruit can stay on there, pretty much forever.

Susan B.