Old 16-09-2011, 10:43 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
almost certainly non-lethal
I'm sorry, I disagree. "Looks like a field mushroom with white gills" includes quite a lot of nasties. There are some deadly Amanitas of that description, as already noted. But there are also Inocybes, Clitocybes, and Entolomas. Both Inocybe erubescens and Clitocybe rivulosa have caused death. Fortunately Entoloma has an unpleasant smell/taste, so you are unlikely to eat that one by mistake.

You even have to be careful with the parasols. The false parasol is the most common source of poisoning in North America, though they are uncommon in Europe.