Old 16-09-2011, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Saving pollen

On Sep 16, 10:16*am, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article
,
Dave Hill writes

I want to save pollen from some dahlias to use next year.
Has anyone here ever saved pollen?
How did you do it?
David Hill

According to Orchid growers on Internet David

"I do freeze daylily pollen, but someone else may have ideas for you on
Hostas.

Here's my technique, anyway: I stuff those tiny micro-centrifuge tubes
with cotton, than bring it to the pollen, and collect the pollen onto
the cotton. Close tube, label. Put in freezer.

Take out of freezer 5 minutes or so before opening to use, to avoid
condensation.

The cotton seems to maintain moisture balance."
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

That seems to be the way to do it Janet, I have wondered about cotton
buds rather than cotton wool as it would be easier to use 1 at a time
to pollenate over a few days.
But what's that about Hostas?
David.