Old 16-09-2011, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default hard tomatoes

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
When you say 'real' tomatoes, do they taste as good as "Gardeners
Delight", or are they just bigger and not so tasty?

I ask this because if I need to I can erect a greenhouse I have (in
pieces to erect as it is reclaimed)

If 'real' tomatoes are so tasty, I have a good reason or 'excuse' to
take up room for it.

If so which varieties for taste, not volume, would you suggest?

IMHO, as with potatoes, tomato preference has to be via trial and
error, as everyone likes different things. I love GD as a snack, but
to put on sandwiches I like a variety so I can play around with
different ones. If I find a large tomato I like as much as GD I'll
increase the number of those I grow.

vicky,
Tomatoes are abundant at this time of year and I have tasted other peoples
produce and none of them taste of much. Bland. They all grow GD as well.
I ought to have asked which variety if only to avoid, but I didn't much to
my annoyance, but I still can.

In winter I buy cherry ones from supermarkets rather than the larger ones.
Admittedly it takes longer to make a sandwich and more skin but well worth
the effort.

Thanks
Baz