Old 16-09-2011, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default hard tomatoes

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
I grow GD both in and outdoor, and I have to be honest, I've never
noticed a difference in the skin. Taste the same, and sometimes the
outdoor ones even beat the indoor for speed. But the indoor ones
keep cropping for longer.

How much longer?

Ask me in a month or so. It's been a funny year, but I think they
will keep going for a while yet. Some of the later plants still have
flowers, which I am told to take off at this time of year, but I'm
pretty sure there's still plenty of time to get them to ripe, if they
don't get blighted first.

I think probably mid to end of October is when I tend to have the
plants start to give up. I think I've managed to get green ones in
November, but not fully ripe.

But as I say, my memory is flaky, I'll try and keep note for you this
year!

Thanks vicky,
I will remind you.

The more I think of it I am warming to the idea of putting up this
greenhouse. Just finding the right spot for it and nicking a bit here and
there. It's a squeeze in our quite small garden.

I find that putting green tomatoes in a dark place ripens them, rather than
light or sunlight. I have tried all but dark wins hands down.

Thanks again
Baz