Old 16-09-2011, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Saving pollen

On 16/09/2011 13:09, Dave Hill wrote:
On Sep 16, 10:50 am, wrote:
On 16/09/2011 09:23, Dave Hill wrote:

On Sep 15, 10:16 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Dave wrote in message

I want to save pollen from some dahlias to use next year.
Has anyone here ever saved pollen?
How did you do it?
David Hill

Ask the bees! Seriously, I'm not sure you can. I suppose you could try
and collect it and keep it in a paper bag.
Why do you want to, as a matter of interest?
Tina
I know it can be done, and can be kept for several years if done
properly.
I want to cross a very late flowering dahlia with some early flowering
varieties.

Forgive me, David, if I'm being particlarly dense, but wouldn't it be
easier to save the early-flowering dahlia pollen for 2 or 3 months until
the late-flowerer blooms and then cross them, rather than try and keep
pollen viable for a year?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

As the late dahlias don't come into flower till November there is no
time for them to set seed and have it develop, where as I could cut
the flowers in bud if I have to and still be able to get pollen from
them.

Crikey! November *is* late. All understood now.