Old 16-09-2011, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pepper "Sweet Romano"

On 16/09/2011 18:19, wrote:
In , wrote:
Jeff wrote in news:j4vtdp$fnd$1
@news.albasani.net:

Grown this year - Johnsons "World Kitchen" seed. Quote from back of
packet: "Long and pointed with thin skins, very sweet flesh, and the
benefit of very few seeds".

It germinated well, and has set quite a bit of fruit.

Just harvested the first one. Looked the part, but is considerably
hotter than a jalapeņo!!! Anyone else growing this from Johnsons seed?

No, but Romano are reputed to be one of the hottest, I thought they were
chilli capsicum and not a pepper. (?)
Good job you didn't eat a seed, or did you? Ouch!

There's a problem?

Jalapenos are very mild. The difference between sweet peppers and
chillis is as much a matter of variety as anything alse, and there
is no hard and fast boundary between them, though I believe that
some species rarely have sweet forms.

Jalapeņos are mild (2500 - 5000 Scoville Units) when compared to, for
example, habaneros (100000 - 350000 SU). But they are certainly hot
when compared to sweet chillies (0 SU), which are devoid of capsaicin
(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale or
http://www.texmextogo.com/chilipeppersfacts.htm)

Having innocently bitten into a habanero once, I know a hot pepper when
I chew one...

--

Jeff