Old 17-09-2011, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Winter pansies

On 16/09/2011 20:18, Baz wrote:
stuart wrote in news:bHMcq.1051$v%1.68
@newsfe04.ams2:

On 16/09/2011 18:37, Baz wrote:
If I can buy some, when would be the last time to plant them in UK,
N.Lincs?
I have trudged the web and nothing has been said as to when.

Thanks
Baz

B&Q is full of pansies and violas at the moment so I'm guessing now is
the time to plant, at least down here in the sultry south east.

Thankyou stuart,
Here in the not so sultry end of the country B&Q have them, or at least
will have them next week. They know how to charge don't they.

Thanks
Baz

I'm sure our local branch lost a fortune with the bedding plants earlier
in the year, which coincided with that mini heat wave. They really
needed someone on full time hose duty and, for the sake of a few quid in
wages, lost the greater part of their stock.

I got some of the "value" range violas @ £2.80 per 20, and a box @ £5.00
per 40. The latter were slightly bigger plugs but I have to say all were
in prime condition.

I learnt last year that you can't have too many violas. The more the
foliage covers the soil, the less likely they are to get wet and soggy
when it snows. I also learnt that pastel shades seem to show up better
than deep colours in winter.