Old 17-09-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Greenhouse help

Baz wrote:
We have just finished erecting a greenhouse and would like to know
whether

Funny time of year!

Why? I can wait until high winds prevent me to make the task more
difficult, or do it now at my leisure when it is easy.

I think I was assuming everyone was already busy with more important things,
such as picking, cos I can't keep up right now. And then once it's built,
it's a long time till it gets to when you're likely to use it. Unless
you're planning on using it for overwintering, which I guess you may well
be. (I've had limited effects with overwintering fuschias, I've pretty much
given up now - if I want something to last over winter it comes into the
house!)

I would suggest concrete/pave, then use grow bags. Otherwise you will
end up with a build up of soil that isn't being rotated with other
crops. (Our grow bags then get thrown onto the garden beds)

But there are advantages to both, as with everything.

Yes. If I use the soil year in year out it will carry on any infections.
Paving it is.

I guess the advantage of soil is you're not locked into buying grow bags
each year, and you can get your roots down deeper, and if you are going on
holiday you may be able to get away with not having someone look after your
watering whilst you are away, cos your plants will be able to search for
their own water.