Old 17-09-2011, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Winter pansies

Baz wrote:
Caullis are a bit difficult I know and I am pathetic with them.
Actually they can be planted in Sept. to overwinter in a bed with some
frost protection to give them an early start in spring.

Have you done this before? Have you found it useful to overwinter? So far
my attempts at overwintering (onions, broad beans, peas) have all been
disappointing. I kind of overwintered sprouts last year, as mine decided to
stay tiny, and instead of pulling them up in the spring when they should
have been finished, I left them in and they are now finally getting to
sensible size! I suppose effectively that is my first successful
overwintering.

I bought the plants on a whim to see what happens. At ?1.50 for 20 plugs it
would be rude not to.

It would. :-)

You might not have good results because they need to be planted very firmly
indeed. I mean plant them and really stand or stomp around them.(as with
all brassiccas) Someone told me "firm root, firm fruit" and that has been
true with cabbages and brussels sprouts, and the odd caulli I have managed
to get to the kitchen.

You may be right. I've seen this mentioned a few times this year. I'll try
harder next year! Maybe that's why my sprouts took a year longer than they
should to get going!

Don't give up, keep on trying because I can see a day in the future when
you might need your home grown veg!

I have plenty of homegrown veg, I'm just not too good with brassicas. Or
carrots.