Old 17-09-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Pepper "Sweet Romano"

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 21:13:07 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 16/09/2011 18:20, Baz wrote:

[...]
No, but Romano are reputed to be one of the hottest, I thought they were
chilli capsicum and not a pepper. (?)
Good job you didn't eat a seed, or did you? Ouch!

Baz

According to this page:
http://www.johnsons-seeds.com/search/pepper
Romano are a sweet pepper (bottom left). The peppers are divided into
hot and sweet.

I did try touching a seed to my tongue. Very hot...

Interestingly, (I think I may have learned from this very group) the
seeds themselves aren't hot: it's the placenta tissue around them. So
perhaps you got a bit of the squidge on the seed, or some of the juice
on your finger. I did try with a commercial dried chilli, which are
much hotter than the ones I grow: I had to brace myself first, as I
wasn't fully convinced I was going to suffer no discomfort, but
nothing happened at all.

I'll wait to see what the peppers from another plant are like before I
contact Johnsons. I still have a few seeds left, if they want to grow
them next year to see what they are.

I once saw a plump smallish variety in Waitrose whose label said they
were mostly sweet, but that a few would be hot, which would add
amusement to the meal. Since they were offered at a stupid Waitrose
price, I didn't try them, but I now wish I had.

--
Mike.