Old 18-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Genie2312 Genie2312 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley View Post
We've five wisterias, including one which was here when we moved into our house nearly forty years ago.

Throughout the summer they produce long "stringers" from various places. I always prune them back as soon as they appear, they can grow several inches overnight. It's a weekly job for me, well into September.

Think of your wisteria as a "leaky hose." The energy of the plant is going into these stringers and possibly not where you want it to go.

Don't be frightened of pruning at this time of year. You've probably some branches that are as thick as hoses and are growing all over the place finishing with a clump of foliage at the ends. Decide what you want to keep and cut the others off from where the leave the main trunk, if you think they are superfluous. You might need a saw (but make sure you are pruning the right one!)

An ideal wisteria shape is this one, which we have trained over the last fifteen years. It's attached to horizontal wires stretched between the concrete fence posts which I drilled for "eyes" to connect the wires.

You need to prune the side shoots back to between two and four buds in January. I actually do ours between Christmas and New Year.

If you leave it until spring you won't get many blooms.

You will know you've got it right when the blooms appear before the foliage. Here they are coming out in mid April this year.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2636/p1030606m.jpg

This is the same plant five weeks later.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6571/p1020925gf.jpg

They are very adaptable This is a branch of the same plant I've trained round the eaves of our Japanese tea-house.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3273/p1020923i.jpg

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6837/p1020972r.jpg

This is our oldest. This is in late April, it flowers first, because of the heat from the adjacent koi pool.
This got some heavy pruning a couple of weeks ago to reduce the canopy to two rows of "heads" down each side of the length of the pergola. It had got to the stage where the canopy was solid with foliage in the summer and you couldn't see half the blooms. A good few of those branches you can see against the garage wall got the chop.
That pergola is sixteen feet long and the plant then goes along another fifteen foot fence and onto the pergola at the back of the house.

http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/460/p1030632.jpg
they are fantastic pics....the first one is stunning....and i love how you have trained it round the tea room.....
thank you for the advice.....it's been really helpful....i feel a bit more confident now.....going to leave it till feb when i can see what i'm doing and take it right back to the main branches........i looked through it yesterday and there are quite a few very thick stems/trunks.....but lots of woody whispy bits too.....so i think it's all those that need taking out....

thanks again for your advice