View Single Post
  #8   Report Post  
Old 18-09-2011, 06:44 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2009
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie2312 View Post
Hiya

Yet another question for you green fingered bunch.
I also inherited a large wisteria (covers most of the front of my house) problem is that it's not had anything done pruning wise so it's now at the "triffid" stage (i like to keep all my windows open and regularly have to chop off the tentacles that seem to want to live indoors....heehee), i have taken the long whispy bits back to 6 shoots but there is a rather large tangled mess in the middle (about 2/3 foot thick) that is mainly bare woody stems and i'm a little unsure what to do....a few people have advised me to cut it back to the ground and start again.....but i REALLY don't want to)
I searched wisteria posts but none helped as they were maily about general pruning and not what to do with an out of control mess....haha
It was all bare when i moved in at the begining of february but soon greened up and did flower quite well (stunning!!!) so i don't want to do anything too drastic.....

I will get some pics tonight so you can see the extent of what i'm talking about

Thanks in advance

Kate
And thanks to you too, Kate, for raising the subject. The advice gleaned from others has been very helpful as I look at my so far flowerless individual. Have done the 6 bud prune 'thing' for a couple of years and had no results, apart from an impressive amount of those 'stringers' mentioned. I think I'll have to do the brutal approach and remove a fair amount of it's framework. Thanks t you and the others