Old 19-09-2011, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default De-weeding my garden

In message
,
GARY writes
I live in Riverside, California (about 60 miles east of Los Angeles).

My garden is loaded with Senecio vulgaris (common groundsel) and
Euphorbia peplus (petty spurge).

Groundsel and petty spurge are annuals. Both are relatively easily
pulled, though the latter sometimes breaks off at the base of the stem.

When hand-weeding, what's the best way to make sure I pull ALL of the
weeds ("ROOTS AND ALL").

Grasp at the base of the stem.

After weeding, what can I apply to prevent these weeds from re-
emerging? (Preen Weed Preventer doesn't work)

If the beds are clear enough of other plants, the use of a hoe will
discourage new seedlings from establishing.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley