Old 19-09-2011, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default pelargonium overwintering

On 18/09/2011 23:17, Bob Hobden wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote

According to RHS, soft stemmed pelargoniums can't be stored in a semi
dormant state over winter, so presumably not much point in hanging
them upside down somewhere cool in the house.
The plan this year is to trim to 4", put them in smaller pots, and
cover the whole thing with 2-3 layers of bubble wrap. I'll close the
top with a peg but maybe leave a little space for ventilation. As my
shed proved too damp last year (I lost the lot), I'm thinking of
leaving these outdoors against a south facing wall.
Anyone got any bright ideas? I don't have a greenhouse or cold frame
BTW. Thanks for any suggestions

Cut them back and either take these as cuttings or keep the old plant as
it will regrow or both. These would be better off being kept on a sunny
windowsill but away from any frost and hardly watered at all over
winter. I only water mine when they ask for some, they wilt a bit.

Alas I don't have a sunny window sill or a cool room (they're all heated
to 18 degsC). Last year I put the September cuttings near an east facing
window and one by one they keeled over and died (the thinnest first).