Old 19-09-2011, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default pelargonium overwintering

On 2011-09-18 19:15:30 +0100, stuart noble
said:

According to RHS, soft stemmed pelargoniums can't be stored in a semi
dormant state over winter, so presumably not much point in hanging
them upside down somewhere cool in the house.
The plan this year is to trim to 4", put them in smaller pots, and
cover the whole thing with 2-3 layers of bubble wrap. I'll close the
top with a peg but maybe leave a little space for ventilation. As my
shed proved too damp last year (I lost the lot), I'm thinking of
leaving these outdoors against a south facing wall.
Anyone got any bright ideas? I don't have a greenhouse or cold frame
BTW. Thanks for any suggestions

Would the usual suggestion of a spare room window sill or covered floor
be any good? If you do leave them outdoors, can you make a frame of e.g.
bamboo canes and horti fleece and anchor it down so as to cover them? OR
can you find some old, glazed window frames at a reclamation site and
prop those up on bricks to make a cold frame? I've done that in the past
- here in S Devon, admittedly - and it worked well.

Might be easier to make a frame with bricks and bubble wrap but, from
what Dave says, stopping them rotting will be the difficult part. I can
keep the rain off but condensation is more difficult. The straw/dry
leaves idea is interesting because it would insulate and absorb moisture
at the same time.