Old 19-09-2011, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default what to do with old corn stalks?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:03:02 -0400, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:

In article , Todd wrote:

Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost pile. Maybe break them up a bit first.

Without knowing the amount of corn stalks it's difficult to say.
Farmers generally cut acres of stalks at/near the ground, haul them
off, plow under the stumps and then till to bust them up some. But
for the small amount one typically plants in a home garden there are
really only two choices; shred and use for mulch or if one has a place
to toss them at the edge of the woods they'll make a good place for
small critter protection, that's what I do. Corn stalks take a very
long time to compost, I'd not recommend putting them into a composter
with your regular materials, even shredded they'll take several years
to compost. If you have use of a shredder corn stalks make good
mulch.