Old 20-09-2011, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default what to do with old corn stalks?

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Sep 19, 12:03 pm, "Priscilla H. Ballou"
wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:
Hi All,

My corn experiment kind of went bust. I think my
soil is too poor. I will try amending my soil more
next year.

In the mean time, what do I do with the old stalks?
Toss them in the trash? Plow them under? Shake
fist at and accuse parents of not being married?

Many thanks,
-T

Compost pile. Maybe break them up a bit first.

Priscilla

Give them to your Jewish friends for a holyday coming up where people
"live" outside in temporary huts open to the sky but covered with
maybe cornstalks.

HB

Open, but covered huts, I'll buy(?), but cornstalks in a Jewish
ritual?(!!!) There's gotta be a story.

I have been to meals at a Jewish college where they observed all the
religious festivals. At one time the dining hall was festooned with plants
and produce (sheaves of wheat etc) as part of their harvest festival which
is held about this time of year. One aspect of this (I have since learned)
is making booths, or if you like huts.

David