Old 19-09-2011, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Another orchid question.

Pam Moore wrote:
I've started a new thread so as not to detract from Spider's question.
I have asked before about 2 orchids I have which I cannot get to
reflower, one phalaenopsis and one cymbidium.

I can't advise on the cymbidium, but my phalaenopsis are rarely out of
flower. They live on a north facing but warm and bright window. Very
little draft, very rarely bother feeding, very frequently (about once every
2 weeks) totally soak, sometimes the entire plant underwater (often in
cooled bath water)
The very important thing, IME, for making a good reflower, is to make sure
the old flower stem is /totally/ removed. Takes longer to reflower,
allegedly, but flowers better.
I've never faffed about with this temperature changing business, but it may
be that the nroth facing window naturally does what is required for me
without me having to do anything.

(Good luck)