Old 19-09-2011, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Another orchid question.

"Pam Moore" wrote

I've started a new thread so as not to detract from Spider's question.
I have asked before about 2 orchids I have which I cannot get to
reflower, one phalaenopsis and one cymbidium.
I know I don't feed enough and only use orchid flower liquid feed.
I've just bought another phalaenopsis (Ikea) as I'm fed up with not
having a flower.
The cymbidium had got so big, in over 10 years with no flowers, that
I've just divided it up and given 3 pieces away.
On Saturday I went to an open day of the Writhlington School Orchid
Project, well known in the orchid world. I was advised to leave my
cymbidium outside till November, and told that a light frost is good
for them.
Any advise on that? What do other cymbidium growers do?

I'm not so sure about frost but as I've said before they need cool/cold
nights to initiate flower spikes, it's the trigger that starts the flowering
process. I take ours in as soon as the forecast is for frost, but not
before. You probably keep your cymbidiums too comfortable which is why they
don't flower but grow well.

Similar with the Phal', it's change/reduction of temperature that initiates
flowering, although these are tropical plants so they don't need the cold
Cymbids do. A change of windowsill to a cooler room might just do it, watch
the watering though. The real prize winners do the change of temperature a
few times in weeks to elongate the spikes and get a huge number of flowers
on a plant.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.