Old 20-09-2011, 10:29 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
So I've just taken a look in the greenhouse, and I'm wondering what I can
get through to survive until next year. My current thoughts for things that
could be brought into the house:
* aubergine plants - one is about 3' tall and has 3 fruit on it, I have
others that are less than a foot tall - would any of them survive and
stand a chance of producing next year if I brought them in before frost?
I've never managed to keep them happy over winter. I think you'd have to bring them in quite a long way before frost - they really like it rather warm

Quote:

* one pepper plant, with 1 pepper on it (almost at full size)
If a chilli pepper, you should be able to overwinter it indoors, though opinions vary as to whether it's worth the hassle. It's said that the heat of the chilli is proportional to the temperature during ripening, so that makes it worth bringing into a warm spot in the house once the greenhouse starts to cool off.

Sweet pepper, I don't know, but it's got to be worth bringing it in until you've harvested the pepper.
Quote:

What's the general routine - bring in, stop watering except for a drip every
now and then to keep them alive? Will there be enough light in a south
facing window (on the cold side of the curtains in the living room, most
likely, so cool but hopefully not freezing!)? I could put them in the spare
room (also south facing) if they needed more warmth, but presumably I'd have
to turn off the radiator which is directly below the window.

Or am I just destined to fail, and better off starting again in Feb?

--
There's not enough light generally to support a lot of growth, so it's better to keep things cool rather than hot. And if you're keeping them cool, you generally need to cut right back on the watering.

With fuchsias, pelargoniums etc I prune before overwintering, they then grow some rather leggy growth over winter, and I prune again in spring once the growing season starts again.

I wouldn't leave anything on the window side of living room curtains - it can get really cold against the glass, and it's a bit of a contrast to daytime living room temperatures. If I were to have anything in the living room, then I'd tuck the curtains behind them. But usually I overwinter in bathroom and toilet, partly because of equable cool temperatures, partly because I see them every day and don't forget them.