Old 21-09-2011, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Manure - Problems in the future.

On Sep 21, 9:20*am, Dave Hill wrote:
On Sep 21, 8:15*am, harry wrote:

On Sep 20, 9:10*pm, Baz wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote :

Don't worry Baz. It reduces in volume as it rots down and, anyway, the
worst that can happen is that you don't need to use a ladder to clean
the upstairs windows .

Seriously, my mother added a wad of the stuff to her veg patch every
year for 20+ years and when she died it wasn't any higher than when
she started.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
ploughing through books and catalogues for alternatives
to impatiens.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Well then I feel better knowing that.

Thanks
Baz- Hide quoted text -

Yes rots away *to virtually nothing. But vastly improves the soil.
If you have a surplus, just shovel it onto the flower beds etc, leave
on surface. Will disappear in a couple of months.
Add to compost heap.
Yes you will need lime but not while the shit is freshly applied.- Hide quoted text -

In the 19th century "French Gardening" required that well over 100
tons of fresh horse manure per acre was used every year, to make "hot
beds" etc.
The cropping was very intensive often getting up to 7 crops a year of
the one piece of ground.
The soil level was hardly raised over the years, but they did have
fantastic soil.- Hide quoted text -

What I should have added was that most of the ground would be double
dug every year so that they had a growing depth of 18 inches or more.
Sometimes ground was even tripple dug.