Old 21-09-2011, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_9_] Sue[_9_] is offline

Default Michaelmas Daisies

"Janet" wrote
I don't have names for any of mine; I've found the best way to get
strong reliable asters is to beg a slip from plants doing well round
about for gardening friends. As it's windy here, and I don't stake
anything, I only want short sturdy self supporting ones. But I agree
they seem to thrive on deprivation. We have a narrow dry roadside
verge which is gradually filling in with tough self-sown aster
seedlings. None of them get mildew, possibly because there's so much
salt in the rain
here.

Good idea. I shall have to do a tour of the neighbourhood and peer over
a few garden fences to see what I can beg, I can always offer a swap of
cuttings.

I'd certainly prefer shorter or middling range ones that don't need too
much staking, if I can find any. 'Jungfrau' seems reasonably upright and
sturdy - not as lax as 'Monch', I'd say.