Old 22-09-2011, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwintering Questions

wrote in message
So I've just taken a look in the greenhouse, and I'm wondering what I can
get through to survive until next year. My current thoughts for things
that
could be brought into the house:
* aubergine plants - one is about 3' tall and has 3 fruit on it, I have
others that are less than a foot tall - would any of them survive and
stand a chance of producing next year if I brought them in before frost?
* melons - I have 1 watermelon and 2 melons that started badly and are
just
really getting going now, with long strands and flowers, but not much
chance of getting to fruit ... would they stand a chance of pausing over
winter and coming back?
* one pepper plant, with 1 pepper on it (almost at full size)

These are all tender annuals here in UK so you won't be able to overwinter
them.
My aunt still has some aubergines in her greenhouse with small fruits on and
will carry on with them until the weather gets too cold and they decease.
No experience with melons and peppers this year.

Tina