Old 24-09-2011, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Robust fall planted bulbs

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 07:53:08 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000 wrote:
Indiana -- yes, that's why I was asking because I need some GREEN -- no necessarily blooming plants and I've seen bulbs that grow in pretty bad conditions.

I may try some daylillies also but there are patches of those around here -- some more interesting plants would be nice.

You're in USDA zone 5 or 6, so most of these should make it:

Try
Leucojum vernum
Colchicum spp.
Scilla siberica
Ipheion
Eranthis hyemalis
small Narcisssus like 'Thalia'
Galanthus nivalis
Hyacinthoides hispanica
species tulips
Cyclamen coum
Crocus spp.

If you're just after green find out what holly ferns will grow in your area.

Kay