Old 24-09-2011, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Green Tomatoes

On Sep 21, 1:56*am, Potman wrote:
Has anyone got any ideas of what to do with green tomatoes. I've got a
bucket load and I don't think I can deal with that much chutney.

--
Potman

Curious as to if these are actual green tomatoes or just immature
reds?

I was waiting to see if others would post more. Not to split hairs as
these are very loosely defined and you may consider some as one in the
same but Google for jams, chutneys, relishes,salsa, marmalade,
mincemeat. Try canning, freezing whole for later( this works well
for cherry toms also) and of course fried, especially in a BLT. Green
tomato pie as a dish and try batter fried topped with Mozz, ( or any
good melting cheese) baked( or broiled) until Cheese is melted and
topped a salsa verde, perhaps a romesco or any of the jams, chutneys,
relishes,salsa, marmalade mincemeat(?... maybe not so much) mentioned
above.

Steve's version sounds like a chow chow and pretty good For a
different direction, you might try a peperoncini or a wax, along w/
some fresh herbs, colored bells, garlic cloves and some spices like
dill or allspice in the agrodolce . A couple of scotch bonnets (SB)
or habs would add a bit of spiky heat for a Caribe flavor. To tame SB/
Hab heat, leave them whole and uncut in the pickling.