Old 25-09-2011, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Arthur[_3_] Arthur[_3_] is offline

Default Ventnor Botanic Gardens STOP PRESS

On Sep 25, 1:01*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 03:35:29 -0700 (PDT), Arthur
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...-15047855*Just to say
congratulations to Mike Crowe for being one of the first people on the
IOW to volunteer to help with running IOW libraries............seems
he is not all bad!

I don't see his name there.

4x 500,000 does not equal 33 million. No mention of who pays for the
acquiring of new books.

Every volunteer does somebody out of their job. Would you like a
volunteer to take over your job? Maybe volunteers should take over
some of the overpaid council management jobs?
--

Martin

Martin you won't see my name there because I have not been involved with the
Libraries, I have however been, and still am, involved with "The Friends of
Shanklin Theatre"http://www.friendsofshanklintheatre.org.uk/and Shanklin
Theatre itself *http://www.shanklintheatre.com/default.aspx

With regards to your comment of volunteers doing somebody out of a job, in
the case of Shanklin Theatre, it has worked the other way round. The Isle of
Wight Council gave intention that they were to close Shanklin Theatre and
make 7 people redundant. And they did. But before the final day, Shanklin
Town Council and "The Friends" got together and arranged to take the Theatre
over and run it. One full time and one part time job were saved. One of the
volunteers, having been made redundant from a shop manager position and had
time on his hands, spent many hours there and was eventually taken on full
time. Another volunteer has also been taken on full time.

Just thought I would put a few things straight :-))

Mike

If what I have been advised is wrong, is there any reason for you not
helping with IOW libraries? After all the library service on the IOW
is of far more benefit to residents than Shanklin theatre, and surely
deserves your support for this reason?