Old 25-09-2011, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Front Gate

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one
we had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two
men running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally
ladder so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy
another gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates?
This old one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

You drill a hole in the pin above the gate and either put a split pin in,
(not too secure) or a small nut and bolt or a rivet and rivet the end over

OR

you take the top pin out of the brickwork, which is more than likely a bit
complicated because of the nature of the bit built into the brickwork,
hang the gate on the bottom pin then put the top pin in upside down onto
the gate and brick this into the brickwork again. No 'just lifting the
gate off'

Mike

All very sound advice.

Bill