Old 25-09-2011, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Front Gate

"Martin" wrote .

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one
we
had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two men
running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally
ladder
so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy another
gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates? This old
one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

Turns out at least two other houses have lost their iron gates the same
night and one was secured, they thought!
Much to the amusement of the person that showed it to me there is an
article
in "The Times" today about this epidemic spreading through the country and
calling for better enforcement and a change in the law with regard to
scrap
metal dealers.

and they are taking manhole covers too

They get a couple of pounds for the scrap and I have to spend £50 plus a
lot
of work to replace it with a cheap one.

Did you report it to the police and did they check CCTV images for
signs of your thieves?

It was reported via our roads Neighbourhood Watch people which is how I
found out others had suffered. I have no idea if the Police have checked on
the Dentists CCTV but they have before when a quite new Range Rover got
stolen.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.