Old 26-09-2011, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Looking for bigger seeds and flimsier cones to develop alderas a grain crop

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:
On 09/26/2011 08:31 AM, Michael Bell wrote:
I have a project to develop alder (Alnus glutinosa) as a grain crop.

Just out of interest, what do you expect the yield per hectare to be in
alder seed? (Average UK wheat yields are around 8 tonnes/hectare).

That's not his objective. Average yields in the less productive
parts of the UK would probably be under a tonne per hectare, quite
possibly well under.

I'm sure you must have eaten the seed, what does it taste like? The
grains you name (wheat, rice, oats) all have a basically pleasant taste,
to my palate anyway.

A good question. I have tried goosefoot seed, and it's tolerable,
but not much better - however, the original forms of wheat wouldn't
go down well with modern tastes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.