Old 26-09-2011, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Looking for bigger seeds and flimsier cones to develop alderas a grain crop

On 09/26/2011 04:00 PM, Janet wrote:
In article ,

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

I'm certainly not expecting the same yields! But it seems to me there
ought to be a target yield if we're discussing a potential food crop.

I'd estimate the average annual dust-like seed crop of a mature alder
glutinosa tree weighs less than 5 gm. Allowing for breeding to increase
yield tenfold, 50 gm per tree (grown on area beyond mechanical
harvesting) is going to put alderflour in the economic class of truffles.

It's not my intent to discourage Michael from his investigations into
the alder species. I was just interested in yield and flavor, that's all.