Old 26-09-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Running Water

On 26 Sep 2011 16:34:31 GMT, wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I think I need a duck pond.

It was in ukfd I think, Vicky. But yes, a pond with some moving water
is a help!

My problem is my aversion to mosquitos. Ponds are nice to look at, but not
great when you have a garden full of twilight biters. :-(

I must admit, I'm actually quite fond of the smell of chlorine. I could sit
outside with the smell of chlorinated water tinkling past me all day, apart
from it's quite close to where a lot of people come out and smoke, so if the
wind's wrong, it's not chlorine you can sniff. it's also not unheard of for
Jeremy Clarkson to be one of those people smoking in that area, and the
temptation of Jeremy and a water feature does occasionally prompt me to
actions that may not be great for my future career.

If you have some way to disturb the water surface you shouldn't have
much, if any, of a mosquito problem. A small fountain will do the
trick - they don't breed (and thus don't congregate so much) around
non-still water. I certainly have no problem at all and I only turn
the fountain pump on about once a week in the summer.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

www.rivendell.org.uk