Old 26-09-2011, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Running Water

Vicky wrote ...

I think it was Sacha who started the thread somewhere about liking being
near water, having been brought up by the coast.

I realised at lunch time today that when I walk past the 'water feature'
outside work (where you can hear running water, all be it with the smell of
chlorine!) I do get a noticable destress moment.

My dad gets incredibly jittery when he comes to visit, he can't cope with
being so far away from the coast, and it's taken me years to get used to
it.
He finds the weather too hot and dry.

I think I need a duck pond.

A Duck Pond is always a mess, muddy filthy water, a breeding ground for all
sorts of things. A clean fish pond is what you want. Goldfish will eat the
Larvae so expensive fish are not needed. Running water puts the adults off
laying eggs and as you want running water that should certainly put paid to
any chance of getting bitten.
I would have a filter on any pond to clean the water and use a central
heating pump in a sump to move the clean water from the filter back into the
pond, giving you your waterfall. You might be able to keep Minnows if the
water stays clean and oxygenated enough.
You could also use it for a couple of Water lilies provided the flow is only
gentle, they are no good with a fountain though. There are plants for
various depths so let us know what depth you intend for your pond and I
might be able to suggest some varieties for you to check out.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.