Old 27-09-2011, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Advice on New Plants!

On 23/09/2011 07:36, Sandra Tingle wrote:
'Derek[_6_ Wrote:
;937356']On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:48:10 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

-

So why didn't she subscribe directly to uk.rec.gardening, or doesn't she

know anything about newsgroups?-

Properly not!, having been secretary of the local computer club for
over twenty five years, we still answer the same questions that
cropped up, when we used Bulletin Boards and had Spectrums and QL's.
We all started somewhere and needed help , hopefully we then go onto
help others.
New site in the making,
Lincolnshire Gamemakers for 2012
'2012 volunteer.co.uk' (
http://2012volunteer.co.uk/)

So apparently I posted my question in the wrong location? I thought I
WAS on gardenbanter. That is the website address I type in to get to
this forum. And what does it mean to be KF'd? I was just looking for
gardening advice, not looking to be criticised. Of course I know about

There is considerable annoyance by some denizens of uk.rec.gardening
that advice freely given on Usenet is regularly hijacked and rebadged by
gardenbanter with the intention to deceive newcomers.

You may think you are on GardenBanter but they simply reflect your posts
onto Usenet where they are seen in u.r.g. Certain posters here are
inclined to blast away at newbies who use that gateway as you have no
doubt discovered. I don't see that it does any good to blame people for
not knowing about an archaic form of internet discussion group.

KF'd is killfiled which means that if you really object to GardenBanter
you can filter against any and all posters from that domain. I do
something similar to gmail and various Chinese spamhaus domains.

newsgroups, I wasn't looking for a newsgroup, simply a forum I can ask
questions and get advice. I am in Surrey, by the way, which I had
listed in my user profile.

Newsgroups fulfil that purpose and have been going since the dawn of the
Internet - long before web based services ever existed.

BTW Hydrangea petiolaris is a reasonable climber for a north facing wall
that will not seriously damage brickwork. With a south facing prospect I
would be inclined to grow peaches or nectarines (on wires).

Regards,
Martin Brown