Old 29-09-2011, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Buddleiea prunings

On 28/09/2011 22:26, Christina Websell wrote:
I'd got some long 6-9ft drying upright to go in the shredder from last year,
but when I came to do it today they looked as good as bamboo with that hole
up the middle so I broke all the twiggie bits off for kindling and will keep
them for bean sticks.
They seem quite strong, has anyone used them in this way?

Tina

Not Buddleia, but I've used other prunings to advantage. Exochorda
macrantha cuttings bundled together for insect roosts (they are
similarly hollow-stemmed with joints); Spindle tree cuttings (nice and
straight) for stakes; birch cuttings used as twiggy pea sticks.

I've never used Buddleia (unless I wanted a cutting) because I thought
they might take over the garden but, used dry as you have done, makes
perfect sense.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London