Old 29-09-2011, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default lawnmower troubles

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Not sure if anyone has any suggestions to solve current plight with
lawnmower but I'd be glad of any ideas.

Have a nice Hayter 48 with rear roller etc., Trouble started last year
when for no reason the mower kept stopping after I'd done two lines up and
down lawn, about 100 foot each.
Took it to mower man, he diagnosed fuel blockage perhaps or new cap for
petrol. Got both just in case, came home and it went about a month then
spluttered to a halt after two stripes once more.
It starts again if i leave it for about 15 minutes but only ever does the
same amount before it sounds like it is running out of petrol.
The mower man bless him hasn't charged for subsequent trips to see him,
but it's now been there 5 times and been almost rebuilt!.

Sounds like you need a new mower man!
I agree if it splutters a lot before dying that it is probably fuel related
but not necessarily starvation, but need to know a little more.

What make is the engine?
What is the fuel tank like? Is it rusty metal or a plastic one?
Does it have a pipe between the tank and carburettor or is the tank mounted
directly on top of the carburettor?
What about the cold starting provision, does it have a separately controlled
choke, choke combined with the throttle or no choke control at all?

Or does it die suddenly? if so it could be the electrical cut off at fault.

Mike