Old 29-09-2011, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default soil/sand/compost ratio

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:50:07 +0100, "john east"
wrote:

Have some hibiscus to put in larger pots on a south facing window.

John Innes No3, and some general purpose compost, and sharp sand I have got
and are all ready to be mixed up.

Since I having 'deepish' saucers under the pots, what *ratio* of these three
components would you mix up; with a view to minimize the watering, but also
keep the plants happy?

To be honest, I find sharp sand is useless when mixed with JI3. I've
tried coarse grit but have found that mixing a 5 litre bag of Perlite
with a 20 litre bag of JI3 provides decent drainage without the weight
in pots. I don't mix multipurpose in as I think it's
counter-productive.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

www.rivendell.org.uk