Old 29-09-2011, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sweetcorn!

In article ,
alan.holmes wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

You did get an answer but I don't think you saw it. Put into boiling
water for 5 minutes. Don't add salt to the water.

Thanks, no I didn't see it at all, don't know why, cos your posts seem to
have dissapeared as well, except for this one of course!

Well, I am afraid that it is misleading. Firstly, whether you
add salt or not doesn't matter much (we do). Secondly, 5 minutes
is only enough for the VERY youngest sweetcorn - I prefer much
more mature corn, which often needs 15-20 minutes. And then you
carry on until full ripeness, which can be hours :-)

The best way of doing it is to put it on a barbeque, husk and all,
but it is tricky getting it right. It can help to soak the cobs
first.

Generally, just try removing a kernel and see if (a) you can and
(b) it no longer tastes raw.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.