Old 29-09-2011, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Buddleiea prunings

In message , Christina Websell
writes
I'd got some long 6-9ft drying upright to go in the shredder from last
year,
but when I came to do it today they looked as good as bamboo with that
hole
up the middle so I broke all the twiggie bits off for kindling and will
keep
them for bean sticks.
They seem quite strong, has anyone used them in this way?

I tried using them for runner beans this summer. It didn't work. The base
of the buddleia sticks rotted, and the runner beans collapsed. I leant the
runner beans against a lilac, but they didn't properly recover from the
shock, and cropped poorly.

Hmm, well, it seemed like a good idea at the time, as they seemed so hard
and strong.
It was one of those "why didn't I think of this before?" moments!
Perhaps I'll just use them for pea sticks or plant supports where it's not
so critical.
Thanks.

Tina