Old 29-09-2011, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Extra strong spiders webs this year?

On 29/09/2011 14:05, mogga wrote:
The spiders needing moving before I mowed the lawn yesterday as
they've made webs all round the bushes and hedges. Some of the web
felt really tough to break though!
Either that or I was feeling particularly weak yesterday. Some pretty
big spiders too. (Orb ones I think with huge backsides!)

They'd also reclaimed across the front path (just a couple of threads)
within an hour of my son going through it this morning. Should I be
worried about how many we have round here yet?

No, don't worry about them, Mogga. Just think how much it will save you
on insecticide.

There do seem to be lot of orb weavers around at the moment. The ones I
see most of in my garden are Araneus diadematus and Zygiella x-notata.
Occasionally, I see the web (and inhabitant) of Meta segmentata, too.

If you do have to move the webs, try and retain the bridge line as this
makes it easier for the spider to reconstruct its web.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London