Old 29-09-2011, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Extra strong spiders webs this year?

On 2011-09-29 14:05:11 +0100, mogga said:

The spiders needing moving before I mowed the lawn yesterday as
they've made webs all round the bushes and hedges. Some of the web
felt really tough to break though!
Either that or I was feeling particularly weak yesterday. Some pretty
big spiders too. (Orb ones I think with huge backsides!)

They'd also reclaimed across the front path (just a couple of threads)
within an hour of my son going through it this morning. Should I be
worried about how many we have round here yet?

I don't know what makes them but we have some box which is like a
jewellery box every morning. It's decorated with masses of 'diamond'
necklaces made of cobwebs sparkling with dew. They're not very big and
each is like a sort of little hammock. I must try to remember to take a
photo tomorrow morning because they're just so beautiful - as long as I
don't have to meet the inhabitants!

Hi Sacha,

I wonder if 'your' spider is Linyphia triangularis? It's web has a
random super-structure and sub-structure, being catchment/safety lines
above and below a roughly central hammock-like 'barrage' sheet, below
which the spider lives.

A photograph would certainly help.

--
Spider