Old 30-09-2011, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sweetcorn!

In article , Sacha wrote:

Salt makes it tough. Don't add salt. Cooking sweetcorn when young and
fresh is the only way to go, too, so 5 mins should be about right.
Poke with sharp knife or skewer to check for tenderness. Alan is not
going to fire up a barbecue, Nick. Think about it!

Salt has no effect in my experience, and I have tried both ways.

And, no, the very immature sweetcorn favoured in this country is
NOT the only way to go - and isn't the way chosen by those in
places where it is a staple. Very immature "extra sweet" varieties
are sickly and insipid by comparison with more mature corn, which
has a nutty flavour, more texture and is more filling. Maize was,
after all, the grain staple where I lived until I was 9.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.