Old 26-02-2003, 08:16 PM
paghat

Default open pollination-attn: Dwight

In article , Dwight Sipler
wrote:

paghat wrote:

...I've wondered the same thing about columbines. If I'm careful to

have only
one really cool black pompom Barlow columbine on one side of the house, is
there really any chance it'll seed true just so long as the ten
continuously crosspollinating regular types of columbines are planted
completely on the other side of the house?...

Don't know. Why don't you do the experiment? Collect seed, grow plant on
the other side of the house and see what comes out. Let us know. (Unless
you have already saved seed, this looks like a two year project.)

It's what I'm already doing & could be during this coming year I'll find
out if the Barlows seed true by having been kept far from other cultivars.

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"