Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Autumn Raspberries recommendations pls

On 2011-09-22, Moonraker wrote:
On 21/09/2011 21:47, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Jake
writes
I'll second that suggestion though this year (it being a quirky one
for everything) mine fruited early and have now gone over yet my
Tulameen summer ones are still producing 4 or 5 ripe fruits each day
with a fair few still to ripen.

I bought mine from Ken Muir's company some years ago and Ken himself
sadly died earlier this year. I see they're currently taking orders at
?13.60 for 5 canes and can only assume they're as good as they were
when I bought mine.

Cheers, Jake

I bought Joan j from him but the plants haven't done very well at
all.........................

Thanks for your replies to date. I've been out and measured where I
intend to plant them and find that 25 is about the number I need.

What the nurseries do NOT want you knowing...

Several years ago I planted 1 Autumn Bliss and 1 Fall Gold (yellow),
within no time they were rampaging thru' the bed they were in and into
neighbouring beds. If they like where they are planted, they can be very
rampant. But if your pockets are deep, buy as many as you want.

Autumn Bliss seems well thought of so will probably go for those.

It is a good rasp. But not excellant - my standard for taste is the summer
variety Leo. I've not yet tasted an autumn variety that matches.

As regards a
supplier I am obviously concerned about price but quality and
reliability is my prime consideration.

I've found in general that autumn varities are hardier and less virus
prone than summer varieties, so I suspect that most decent sources will be
ok.