Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Corn silk

On Sep 30, 5:14*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Gunner wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:25 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:

David, its a bit overgenealized to brand it as "was practiced by
native Americans'. Many more major pharmacological herbs/plants
smoked and ingested back in the day. Yet I'm sure there are accounts
of silk being used by certain of the NA nations. Still, any use would
have only been a minor aspect in the much larger harvest rituals of
which corn was always the king of the court. Really no different in
intent than most End Of Season rituals throughout the world.

On the other hand, I believe there are mentions in the old Foxfire
book series. Lot of it smoked behind the barn back in the day, I'm
sure. Some of the Nuevo White Indians" want to claim some ancient
magic psychic holistic medicinal properties, but really there is no
secret mind altering shamanistic alkaloids. Still nothing wrong with
eating it. Lots of evidence to it being helpful in urinary tract
infections,maybe anti cancer, some demulcent properties.... , but the
Internet would tell ya that.

So come on, what was..." Never tried it. Any takers?".

Really, you want to know about smoking corn silk by NAs?