Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Bonfires

On 02/10/2011 12:07, mogga wrote:
On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 20:04:46 +0000, Chris Fryer
wrote:

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum. Does anyone know the rules on
lighting bonfires in England? I have a few things, weeds, cuttings, etc,
that I would like to incinerate. I don't know if I would be allowed to.

Don't annoy the neighbours.
Check if they've got washing out.

Someone reckons there's a bonfire bylaw round here that says no
bonfires on a Sunday.

Although that may well be possible especially in North Wales there are
also no enforcement inspectors working on Sundays either.

If you are going to have a bonfire make sure that everything is tinder
dry and will burn cleanly without excessive smoke or smouldering and
make sure no-one has washing hung out nearby. It is really annoying when
some halfwit torches a huge pile of leaves just dry enough to keep
burning and they sit smouldering with acrid smoke for days afterwards.

Also make sure you have the means to put it out if it gets too big. Dry
wood and bushes can burn very fast and furious once they catch light.

Regards,
Martin Brown